Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
Star Health has come up with sweet news for diabetics in a country like India, where a huge portion of the population is diabetic. We are well aware that people suffering from diabetes need immediate medical assistance. But a lot of diabetic people are unable to access medical attention due to the high prices of medical treatment in our country. Coming as a relief to such scenarios, Star Insurance has introduced a policy called Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
What is the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy?
Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy is a personalized plan for diabetic people with both Type A and Type B. The plan not only covers diabetes and related ailments but also bears the cost of regular hospitalization due to any diabetes-related complications. The policy covers both Type 1 (juvenile diabetes or Type A) and Type 2 (also known as Type B), and personal accident and OPD expense as well. Available in both individual and floater plan option, this policy can be the best bet for someone looking for covering those expensive treatment cost arising out of a complicacy of diabetes.
Features of the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
The Star Diabetes policy is available in two types of plans – Plan A and Plan B
- The plan is for both individual and floater (self and spouse) coverage type. In floater, either of the persons has to be diabetic.
- Pre acceptance medical screening is necessary for Plan A. This plan does not have any waiting period.
- Under Plan B pre-policy medical screening is not required, but a waiting period of 12 months is applicable for this plan.
- Medical screening expenses are borne by the company. If the policy gets rejected then 50% of the medical screening is chargeable.
- The sum insured ranges from 3 lakh, 4 lakh, 5 lakh up to 10 lakh.
- The policyholder is not allowed to switch plans during the policy term.
- Outpatient costs for medical consultations, diagnostic tests and medicines are also covered under this plan.
- Compensation is provided for the accidental death of a chosen insured person.
- The policy covers the cost of artificial limbs up to certain limits.
- It also offers automatic restoration of the entire sum insured.
- It covers dialysis expenses of Rs 1000 per visit, up to 24 months.
- Up to 400 other daycare procedures are also covered under this policy
- For cataract: Sum insured Rs 3 lakh to 5 lakh payment of Rs 20000 per eye per person up to a limit of Rs 30000 and Sum insured Rs 10,00,000 – the amount of Rs 30,000 per eye (per person) up to a limit of Rs 40,000.
- No sub-limits are applicable for cardiovascular diseases.
Benefits of the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
Apart from the features mentioned above, the policy also offers a lot of additional facilities.
- It covers pre-hospitalization expenses up to 30 days before hospitalization.
- The policy covers post hospitalization costs up to 60 days after discharge, but it should not exceed 7% of the hospitalization expenses.
- Covers second transplant, in case the first one is not successful.
- Another benefit is that no third party person is involved and hence the claims are settled directly, which makes the settlement of claims faster and hassle-free.
- Hospitalization at network hospitals is cashless, while the network hospitals in India are up to 7800.
- Lifelong renewability of the plan is guaranteed beyond 65 years.
- It also gives the facility of maintaining one’s health record in an electronic format.
- The amount paid for availing the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance is eligible for tax benefit section 80D of the Income Tax Act, paying through any mode other than cash.
- The policy covers various other expenses like nursing, room and boarding charges, anesthetist, surgeon’s fees, drugs, and medicines, etc. that arise due to diabetes.
- 24x7 expert medical available for medical consultation.
Exclusions of the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
- The plan does not cover the cost of immune-suppressive drugs.
- It also does not cover any pre-existing diseases before 48 months of waiting period.
- Any diseases caused by drugs, alcohol, smoking or chewing of tobacco are excluded.
- Dental treatment or surgery excluding the damages caused by accident is excluded.
- All expenses incurred for the treatment of HIV and AIDS and related ailments are excluded from the
- Diabetic nephropathy, diabetic retinopathy causing chronic renal failure and diabetic foot ulcer etc. are also not included.
- Injuries due to nuclear weapons and war or breach of law or intentional basis.
Eligibility Criteria to Buy the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
All individuals between the age of 18 to 65 years are eligible to be insured under Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy, given the condition that they should already be suffering from Diabetes Mellitus.
- If the plan is availed under a floater basis, then a family of two, i.e., self and spouse are eligible for the plan. Still, at least one among them should already be affected by Diabetes Mellitus.
Claim Process for the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy can be claimed as cashless or reimbursement claim.
When the hospitalization is planned, the same should be informed 24 hours before admission to the hospital. Whereas, in case of emergency hospitalization, it should be informed within 24 hours of admission to the hospital. Pan India around 7800 hospitals come under network hospitals, where the cashless scheme can be availed.
If the hospital is not in the list of network hospitals, initially, the payment has to be made then and there. Later, the amount is reimbursed after the submission of the necessary documents. A 24-hour helpline is also set up for assistance.
How to Buy the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy?
The policy has two types of plans – Plan A and Plan B. The policy can be availed online or offline. To buy the policy online:
- Visit the official website of Star Health
- Go to the ‘Plan’ option and select health insurance
- Choose a plan from the given options and click on ‘Buy’.
- Provide the necessary information and click on ‘Next’.
- Choose the required sum insured from the given option. The premium to be paid will be reflected as well.
- Click on the ‘Buy Now’ option. Pay the premiums online and get the policy.
If not, one can buy the policy offline as well by visiting a nearby branch or approaching an authorised agent or broker.
Renewal Process of the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Plan needs to be renewed on time in order to avail of the policy benefits regularly. A grace period of 30 days from the date of expiry is provided to renew the policy. An enhancement is permitted after renewal during this period. Free-look cancellation is not applicable at the time of renewal of the plan. Also, if an insurer wished to migrate to another insurance towards renewal, an application can be put at least 45 days before the date of renewal.
It is needless to say that the Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Plan is the perfect plan for anyone suffering from diabetes, covering every big and small expense due to diabetes.
There is no limit on the maximum number of claims allowed over a year. The limit is only on the sum insured for a year.
The hospitals that have an agreement with the company, and provide cashless treatment to the insured persons, are network hospitals. Whereas non-network hospitals are those that do not have an agreement with the insurance company and hence do not provide cashless treatment.
Any other health insurance policy will not cover illnesses existing before the date of the policy. In contrast, Star Diabetes policy is specially designed for people with existing diabetes. So a diabetic person should take Star Diabetes policy, as it covers other ailments caused due to diabetes also.
A health card is like an identity card that is given to the person who avails health insurance. This health card can be presented at network hospitals for cashless treatments.
Written By: Paisawiki - Updated: 12 February 2021