Star Health Medi Classic Insurance Policy (Individual)
Medi Classic Individual Insurance policy option from Star Health takes care of the uncertainties of life. It provides reimbursement of hospital expenses incurred as a result of sickness, disease, or injuries from an accident.
What is Star Medi Classic Individual Insurance Policy?
Star Medi classic individual insurance plan offers coverage of hospital expenses for an individual due to illness or accidental injuries so that the family is not left in distress. An Indian resident from 5 months to 65 years can enrol in this policy. Beyond 65 years, only renewal is possible. The policy works in the following manner:
- The policyholder chooses the sum assured, the policy term and the members to be covered
- The policyholder then chooses additional benefit coverage from various policy options
- If the insured members face any medical emergency that is covered under the policy, the related expenses will be covered by the plan
- If the plan reached the maturity date and no contingencies occur, no benefits are paid
Features and Benefits of the Star Medi Classic Individual Insurance plan
The key features of this plan are:
- The plan offers seven different sum assured options to choose from which are 1.5 Lakh, 2 Lakh, 3 Lakh, 4 Lakh, 5 Lakh, 10 Lakh, and 15 Lakh
- There is 200% automatic restoration of the insured sum that can enhance policy coverage at no additional cost
- All day care procedures are covered under the Star Medi Classic insurance plan
- Every claim-free year offers 5% as No Claim Bonus that can be accumulated up to 25% of the sum assured
- Coverage of pre-hospitalisation expenses for 30 days and coverage of post-hospitalisation expenses for 60 days is offered as a lump sum amount of Rs.5000
- The insured can opt for add on coverage such as Patient Care and Hospital cash wherever applicable
- The policy can be availed either for a 1 year or a 2 years term. If a 2-year term is opted for, there is a discount of 5% on the premium payable
- There is a co-pay of 10% of the sum assured for policyholders beyond 60 years of age
- There is a free-look period of 15 days from the date of receipt of the policy within which the insured can cancel the policy if not satisfied with the terms and conditions
The benefits of Star Individual Insurance policy are:
- Expenses of hospital rooms, boarding, and nursing expenses are covered according to the details provided by the hospital. This can be up to 2% of the sum assured subject to a maximum of Rs. 5000 per day
- Surgeon, Anaesthetist, Consultant, and Specialist fees are covered under this policy
- Costs of anaesthesia, oxygen, blood, operation theatre, surgical appliances, medicines, diagnostic equipment, X-Ray, chemotherapy, dialysis, pacemaker, stent, and similar expenses are covered. Hospitalisation for a minimum period of 24 hours only is possible. But this rule is not applicable for day-care treatment expenses
- Ambulance charges for transportation of the insured person are covered in case ground transportation is not available during emergencies
- The cost of health check-up of up to 1% of the average sum assured is covered up to a maximum of Rs.5000. This benefit can be availed if the sum assured is Rs.200,000 or more only and after four claim-free years
- Expenses of a new-born baby are covered beginning from day 16 of its birth till the date the policy is valid. The coverage amount is limited to Rs. 50,000 or 10% of the sum insured, whichever is lower, and the mother must be insured under the policy continuously for a year
- The bonus is calculated as 5% of the sum insured for each claim-free year up to a maximum of 25%. In case a claim is made, the bonus will be reduced by 5%
- Automatic restoration of the basic sum insured is done soon after exhaustion of the coverage limit during the policy tenure. Such restoration is available twice during the policy period at 100% each time
- Non-allopathic treatments are covered up to a specified limit. Certain homeopathic and Ayurvedic treatments are covered up to 25% of sum assured upto a maximum of Rs. 25,000
- Direct in-house settlement of claims from Star Insurance without third-party
- Quick and hassle-free claim settlement
- Cashless hospitalisation wherever possible (only at network hospitals)
- 24X7 customer service available
- Premium paid under this policy is eligible for tax deduction under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act 1961
Exclusions of the Star Medi Classic Individual Insurance plan
Given below are the exclusions of the Star Medi Classic Insurance policy:
- Claim for pre-existing illness will be restricted to the amount of sum assured under the policy after four continuous years lapse
- Any disease contracted by the insured within 30 days of the policy commencement date unless he is insured with another Indian insurance company in the preceding year without a break
- Expenses for the following conditions are not covered within the first two years of insurance policy:
- Cataract, Glaucoma, retinal detachment, varicose veins, sinusitis, and other congenital internal defects
- Vaccination and Inoculation of any kind
- Dental surgeries and treatments unless they are a result of accident and hospitalization
- Mental and behavioral disorders
- Intentional self-injury
- Injury caused by nuclear weapons
- Damage caused due to the use of intoxicating substances and illegal drugs, alcohol or smoking
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Treatments arising from childbirth, pregnancy, abortion, family planning and so on
- Fertility treatment expenses
- Weight control treatment expenses
- Medical or surgical treatment of sleep
- Expenses of treatment of Lasik surgery and other eye procedure
- Diagnostic expenses that are not a part of the hospitalization
- Expenses on Vitamins and supplements unless prescribed by a physician for treatment of the insured during hospitalization
- Certain unconventional and experimental therapies
- Stem cell and plasma therapies
- Oral Chemotherapy, or Immunotherapy unless administered as an in-patient during hospitalization
- Plastic or cosmetic surgeries unless required as a part of accident correction
- Cost of spectacles, hearing aids, contact lenses, walkers and wheelchairs
- Hospital admission charges, registration charges, telephone charges, and similar such charges
The claim process for Star Medi Classic Individual Insurance plan
Given below is the process to be followed in case a claim arises:
In case of emergency hospitalisation, intimation must happen within 24 hours and 48 hours before admission for planned hospitalisation.
For in-network hospitals, the pre-authorization form must be filled out and handed over to the hospital insurance desk to initiate the claim process. For non-network hospitals, the claim form must be submitted along with the original doctor's report, diagnostic test result, hospital bills, and so on.
For in-network hospitals, the claim is settled once the request is approved. If not, a reimbursement claim must be submitted after discharge. For non-network hospitals, the claim will be settled once the expense reimbursement expense request is approved.
Required Documents to apply for the Star Medi Classic Individual Insurance policy
The following documents are required to apply for the Star Individual Insurance Plan:
- Document for ID proof such as Aadhar card, PAN card, or driver license.
- Document for Address Proof such as Aadhar Card or driver license
- Document for Proof of income such as pay statements
- Document for Age proof such as Aadhar card, birth certificate or school certificate
- Medical Certificate
- Passport Size Photo
How to Buy the Star Medi Classic Individual Insurance plan?
The purchase of Star Medi Classic Insurance policy can be made online in a few easy steps:
- Visit the official website of Star Health Insurance.
- Choose the plan options and select the plan as required.
- Registered customers can log in to the page with their login credentials. Otherwise, register as a new customer.
- Provide the basic details such as date of birth, email id and phone number on the next page and click on 'Proceed'.
- Enter the sum insured you want, number of dependents and so on.
- Based on the given information, the premium will be calculated with the insurance premium calculator.
- The applicant can compare online plans, and they choose the right policy from various options.
- Purchase of the policy will be complete when you click on ‘I Agree’ and payment can be made through net banking, credit or debit card.
- The policy will be mailed to the registered e-mail Id and same has been sent to the mailing address.
Renewal Process of the Star Medi Classic Individual Insurance plan
The renewal process of Star Medi Classic Insurance policy can be done online in a few easy steps:
- Visit the official website of Star Health Insurance
- Choose the Renewals option
- Log with the customer ID and Password
- A new page is shown where the policyholder needs to enter his policy number, date of birth, email id, and phone number, and click on ‘Proceed’
- The policy details, personal details, must be entered in the next page
- Premium will be calculated with the insurance premium calculator
- Renewal of the policy will be complete once you click on ‘I Agree’ and payment can be made through net banking, credit or debit card
- The payment receipt can be saved for future reference