National General Insurance
National Insurance company limited is one of the oldest general insurance companies in India. It was established on 5th December 1906. It has its presence in PAN India and also has an office in Nepal. It is proud to own around 2000 offices and over 15000 professional employees working for the insurance company. They have multiple policies that are made available to their customers.
National General Insurance: Present Position
The below table shows some of the key highlights of the insurer that indicate its current position in the market:
Kolkata, West Bengal
Number of Insurance Products
Rs 88.67 Billion
Waiting Period for Pre-existing disease
Incurred Claims Ratio
Number of Policies issued
*PaisaWiki does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
National General Insurance: Product and Services
General Insurance policies offered by the insurer pose a range of benefits to the individuals. The most obvious benefit is protection against financial losses. Having such a general insurance plan in place promotes risk control activity. The general insurance policies designed by the National Insurance Company Limited are largely bifurcated into five. Here’s a structured breakdown of the following.
- Health insurance
- Motor insurance
- House Holders Insurance Policy (Home insurance)
- National Overseas Mediclaim Policy (Travel insurance)
- Commercial risk insurance
Health insurance plans by National Insurance Company Ltd. come packed with a range of benefits. With health insurance, policyholders can take complete advantage of benefits such as coverage for terminal and critical illness, cashless hospitalization, day care facility, and more.
Types of National Health Insurance Policy
There are different types of health insurance plans. It is crucial to know what plan comes with what benefit. Mentioned below are the different types of health insurance policies crafted to meet different insurance requirements. The plans are:
- National Mediclaim Policy (Individual)
- National Medicalim Plus Policy (Family)
- National Parivar Mediclaim Policy (Individual)
- National Parivar Mediclaim Plus Policy (Family)
- National Critical Illness Policy
- Overseas Mediclaim Business & Holiday Policy
- Overseas Mediclaim Employment & Studies Policy
- National Senior Citizen Mediclaim Policy
- National Super Top-up Policy
- Vidyarthy Mediclaim Policy for Students
- National Arogya Sanjeevani Policy
- National Corona Kavach Policy
National Motor Insurance Policy
Motor insurance is an absolute must for every vehicle that is on the road. The primary objective of making it mandatory is to extend protection against physical damage or loss caused on account of natural or man-made calamities. Motor insurance by National Insurance Company Ltd. protects crucial aspects such as bodily injury, physical damage, death, and third party liabilities.
Types of National Motor Insurance
Motor insurance plans by National Insurance Company Ltd. can broadly be bifurcated as:
- Private Car Insurance- The purpose of the private car insurance is to lend protection against accidental loss or damages caused to the policyholder's car or to that of any third party involved in the accident.
- Two-wheeler Insurance- Two-wheeler insurance plan extends coverage against accidental loss or damage solely towards two-wheelers. The features of this plan are more or less in the same lines as that of car insurance.
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance- Commercial vehicle insurance plans provide peace of mind for the owners of the commercial vehicles by extending coverage against losses they incur as a result of damage caused to the vehicle.
Renewal Process of National General Insurance
Renewal of policies offered by the National Insurance Company Ltd. can be done either offline or online.
Offline Renewal Process of National General Insurance
The insurer has an extensive list of local branches in almost every corner of the country. In a situation wherein the policyholder wants to renew his/her existing policy through an offline mode, all one requires to do is to visit a nearby local branch which can be located using the list of branches available in the policy document. The insured needs to carry the policy document or just the policy number. Once the appropriate documentation is done with the insurance officer, the policy will be renewed immediately. One can also do this through a professional agent appointed by the insurance company. Offline payment can be made in cheque or demand draft.
Online Renewal Process of National General Insurance
Renewal of National General Insurance Policies can be done by following the below mentioned steps:
If someone is looking for online renewal, that can be done easily through paisawiki.com as well. The steps for the online renewal process are as below: -
- Step 1:The applicant must visit the official website of paisawiki.com for the policy renewal process.
- Step 2:Then he/she needs to go to the renewal policy section by clicking on the top left corner of the screen
- Step 3:Then enter the policy number and date of birth and phone number if registered with the website.
- Step 4:Then one should click on the tab – ‘renew policy’.
- Step 5:If the policy is up for renewal, the details will be generated about the renewal amount, due date, etc.
- Step 6:The insured has the option to remove or add riders according to their needs.
- Step 7:Then the person must click on 'renew' option.
- Step 8:Finally, he/she needs to pay the amount due using the online banking option and immediately the renewed policy will be emailed to the registered mail Id.
Documents Required for Renewal Process
There are no such documents required for the online renewal process except for policy number, credit/debit card number for online transaction and a medical report in certain conditions.
Claim Process of National General Insurance
National general insurance can be claimed offline or online. This can be done by registering the claim with the insurance company through a visit to the nearest branch or by calling their customer care department.
Online mode constitutes the method wherein the insured goes online and files a claim through the official website of the insurance company.
How to Claim National Health Insurance?
In case of Health Insurance, claim procedure includes:
Cashless Claim for Planned and Emergency Hospitalization
The insured must notify the insurer 3 days prior to hospitalisation and give details about his Health Card and submit a valid Photo ID Card at the helpdesk of the hospital. Emergency hospitalization must be informed within 24 hours to the insurance company.
- The hospital will further send a request form to the insurer, which needs to be pre-authorised by them.
- After the treatment, the claim document needs to be signed by the policyholder and the appropriate documentation will be submitted to the insurance company. After the approval, the patient will be discharged
- The bills are directly paid by the insurance company to the hospital to settle the claim.
Reimbursement Hospitalization Claim
In such type of claims, the policyholder gets treated in a non-network hospital, where the medical bills are to be paid by the insured initially.
- The claim is then submitted to the insurance company along with necessary documents and the Insurance Claim Form.
- The status of the claim can be tracked online through the website and after relevant approval by the insurance company, the amount will be credited to the account of the insured.
How to Claim National Motor Insurance?
Motor insurance claim with the insurer can be claimed for cashless or reimbursement claim.
- In case of any claim, it needs to be informed to the insurance company and the surveyor should approve the cost of repairs.
- After the necessary repair, the bill is automatically adjusted by the insurance company and not by the policy holder.
- After the necessary repairs are undertaken at the garage, the entire cost is borne by the policyholder.
- This amount is later reimbursed after the insured submits the necessary proof of documentation to the insurance company of the claim that should be covered in the policy as per terms and conditions.
- After the approval by insurance company, the approved amount is submitted to the policyholder’s account to settle the claim.
Common Claim Steps
Following are the basic steps involved to process a general claim:
- Step1– In case of any emergency or if the claim needs to be generated, the policy holder must immediately inform National Insurance Company Ltd. either through SMS or by calling their customer care numbers, or they can also report it physically by visiting a local and nearby branch.
- Step2- The insured needs to gather all the necessary documents as stated below after filling the claim form appropriately and submit it to the insurer. The same can be posted online through email or on their website but this needs to be done before the end of the date of maturity of the plan.
Documents for claim process are:
- Discharge Voucher
- Original document of the policy
- Other details of banking like IMPS/RTGS/ NEFT Form
- A cancelled cheque from his bank passbook or cheque book.
- Photo Identity proof which is attested by the policy holder and the Address proof of the beneficiary example his Passport, Driving License, Aadhar Card, Voter’s Card, PAN Card, etc.
Documents that are required by National Insurance Company Ltd. for death claims:
- A stamped and signed form of Death claim
- A copy of the attested certificate of death duly approved by a local MCA - municipal corporation authority
- All the Original official documents and agreement including basic norms along with the main insurance document
- A Police FIR needs to be mandatorily submitted if the death of the policy holder takes place in an unnatural way.
- ID proof and proof of age of the nominee or claimant.
- A certificate from the hospital and other medical documents of the policy holder are required and need to be submitted as mandatory documents if he dies due to an ailment or a disease after being hospitalized.
- Proof which signifies the cause of death is mandatory
- Also, in the above case a Post-mortem report is required
- If there is an early death, a certificate from the employer of the insured and the cremation certificate are required too.
Premium Payment Process of National General Insurance
A person can pay through online mode through the insurer’s portal or through paisawiki.com. The mode of payment can be:
- Credit Card
- Debit Card
- Online transfer
Either way, the insured can also go directly to the nearest branch of the insurance company and make a direct payment through cash, cheque or demand draft. He/she can take help of professional assistance of a professional agent or representative of the agent.
Awards and Achievements
The following awards have been achieved by National General Insurance Company Ltd.:
- The Economic Times Best Brands Award
- Economic Times-BFSI Best Brands 2016 - for all round Excellence in General Insurance Category
- Samudra Manthan Best Insurer of the Year Award 2016
- SKOCH Financial Inclusion Awards 2016
- ICONIC BRAND Award (Insurance Sector) 2016
- ICONIC BRAND Award (Insurance Sector) 2016
- Elets 2015 Award for Financial Inclusion
- The BML Munjal Awards 2015 for Business Excellence through Learning and Development
- Dalal Street Investment Journal 7th PSU Awards 2015 for Highest growth rate in its reserves
- SKOCH Financial Inclusion Awards 2013
- NDTV Profit Business Leadership Award 2012
- NDTV Profit Business Leadership Awards 2011
FAQs About National General Insurance
Ans: Yes. Policyholders can visit insurer’s website and fill in minimum details about the expiring policy to renew other insurer's policy with NIC.
Ans: The following reports would be required for a pre-policy check-up.
Physical examination (report to be signed by the Doctor with minimum MD Medicine qualification)
- Lipid profile
- Serum creatinine
- Urine routine and microscopic examination
- Eye checkup (including retinoscopy)
- Any other investigation required by the company
Ans: The insurer will bear 50% of the expenses incurred for a pre-policy check-up once the proposal is accepted.
Ans: The minimum age is 18, and the maximum age is 65 to claim the National Mediclaim Plus Policy.
Ans: Pre policy check-up is required when the applicant is 40 yrs old or above or when the person is opting for SI Rs 600,000 or above or if he/she is opting for Critical Illness optional cover, between the age of 18 and 65 years.
Written By: Paisawiki - Updated: 24 December 2020